13 September 2010

Yellow tomatoes in a Moroccan salad

We have a very big crop of very big yellow-orange tomatoes coming in. Walt picked some of the ripest ones yesterday, but there are many more of them out there in the garden. We also have a lot of big round red tomatoes, and a slew of Roma plum-shaped tomatoes.

Yellow tomatoes ripening on the vine

Today my plan is to make a Moroccan tomato salad that we can have as an entrée before we eat the rest of the eggplant curry that Walt made day before yesterday. I'll let you know how the salad turns out. It can't be bad, judging from the recipe and ingredients:

Tomatoes for the salad
Moroccan Tomato Salad

2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. harissa (or ½ tsp. cayenne pepper)
2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 large ripe tomatoes (1½ lbs.)
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 Tsp. chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
1 tsp. cumin seeds
½ tsp. salt (or more, to taste)

Place cumin seeds in small pan and heat
over medium-high heat for a few minutes,
until they darken and smell roasted. Grind.

If using cherry tomatoes, halve or quarter.
Any other kind, dice.

Combine lemon juice, olive oil, and harissa (or cayenne
pepper) in a small bowl. Mix the tomatoes and other
ingredients together in a larger salad bowl.

Stir the lemon-harissa-olive oil mix into
the salad and let it sit for 30 minutes before serving.

Note: You can adjust the amount of harissa/cayenne
to your own preferences, or leave it out altogether
for a simple summer tomato salad.
I have a memory of a Moroccan tomato salad that I ate in a restaurant just off the rue Montorgueil in Paris 30 years ago. It was extremely spicy, and obviously unforgettable.

7 comments:

  1. Luscious plants you have there.
    I'm still waiting for one plant of tomatoes to ripen. I hope it does before it gets too cool out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! I also have a range of tomatoes planted here in Australia and this summer I am trying a "heritage"range...thank you for such a lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meredith and Louise, I've edited my post to take into account the modifications to the recipe I made as I prepared the salad. Half a pound of tomatoes is not nearly enough! And I added some olive oil to the salad, for better flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the apt i'll be renting in paris next month is not too far from montorgeuil

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just discovered that yellow tomatoes in a Moroccan salad works with tortilla chips. It's salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, I lived at no. 30, rue Saint-Sauveur, just off the very top of the rue Montorgueil. That was for three years, from 1979 to '82. It was a good time.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?