17 October 2014

“Pulled lamb” in the mijoteuse

I haven't said much about it since mid-September, but I am pretty happy with the slow-cooker or mijoteuse/mijoteur that we bought back then. I've cooked pork roasts, chickens, and beef stews in it. I've also cooked dried beans with good results.


Night before last, I cooked a whole lamb shoulder that was on promotion at a good price over at Intermarché in Noyers-sur-Cher. I had about 6 cups of rich vegetable/chicken broth in the fridge, so I put the lamb on a rack in the bottom of the cooker and poured the broth over it. Basically, the lamb steamed in the cooker overnight, for eight hours, on the low temperature setting. A side benefit is that we are taking advantage of the lower electric rates charged during nighttime hours.


After it was cooked, I pulled all the meat off the bones and separated the fat from the lean meat. (I'm sorry I forgot to take a photo of it before I pulled it all apart.) That nice lean meat ("pulled lamb") can be sliced or diced and seasoned to make different kinds of dishes — we had tacos with beans, rice, lamb, lettuce, and cilantro for lunch yesterday, for example. I can see a nice shepherd's pie in our near future. Or a Greek moussaka. Or some Kentucky-style barbecue.

17 comments:

  1. That lamb looks really delicious. Keep on cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. was just wondering if u had used the new machine....glad to see the results......forgot about the cheaper rates there at night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying the slow-cooker. This weekend: Bœuf Bourguignon with beef shank, stew beef, onions, carrots, red wine, and smoked pork belly (poitrine fumée). Fittin'.

      Delete
  3. A friend cooks collards and green beans in his slow cooker. I haven't tried that yet. Don't know what KY-style bbq is, but know that Alabama bbq is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kentucky BBQ is slow-cooked lamb or mutton. We went to the Moonlite Inn in Owensboro back in 2006 and really enjoyed it. Aside from it being lamb and not pork, it was very much like Eastern N.C. barbecue. Minus the Wilber's hot pepper & vinegar sauce.

      Delete
  4. Stunning! but i'm trying to figure out how to pronounce "mijoteuse" i keep coming up with mojitos...which you know, is pretty good too. i've been making caramelized onions in my crock pot and wow they come out terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OFG, it's something like [mee-zhoh-TEUHZ] in French. « Mijoter » [mee-zhoh-TAY] means 'to simmer.'

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the slow cooker is a success.......I knew you would love it!
    Nick is bringing one for us back from the UK when he returns with my dad. I'm looking forward to making good use of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked Bœuf Bourguignan overnight in the slow cooker. The aroma is amazing.

      Delete
  6. Oh, now I understand. That's a Western KY idea and I grew up in Eastern KY. I'm glad that they made the right kind of sauce for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does it; we're making this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another way the lamb would be very good would be with Moroccan spices...

      Delete
  8. And served with tajine-spiced butternut squash...

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?