08 September 2015

Stitching central Paris together

I've been doing more stitching in Photoshop. This panorama, which I made from two photos that were not taken at the same zoom level, shows a section of central Paris from the Louvre on the left over to the Samaritaine department store on the right.


Here, below, is a close-up of the Samaritaine building. The store could use a good Samaritan itself, since it has been closed for several years now. I wonder it it and its fantastic roof deck will ever open up to the public again. In the background you can see the new roof over the Forum des Halles.


And here's a part of the Musée du Louvre and, at the upper right, the dome of the Bourse du Commerce. The dome in the foreground is the Institut de France, and that's the Pont des Arts over the river.


I still have a lot of photos that I took from the top of the Tour Montparnasse that I want to edit and post. It's a good diversion from the processing of zucchini and tomatoes from the garden.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for all these wonderful photos! After 15 trips to Paris, I have still not been up the Tour Montparnasse. I will fix that in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really worth it if you can go up there on a sunny afternoon.

      Delete
  2. Ken

    The Samaritaine is going to be alive again as a hotel and a store - looks like the new modern addition was a point of contention and finally the court has given the go-ahead ( effective June 2015)
    http://www.lvmh.com/houses/other-activities/samaritaine/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info, N. I hadn't heard about that. Back in 1981-82, when Walt and I were both in Paris, the rooftop deck of the Samaritaine was a full-service café-restaurant. We used to go have a drink or lunch up there with friends when the weather was nice, and the views were amazing. Later, they turned the café into a low-budget self-service place where you could get drinks in paper cups and pre-made sandwiches. They ruined it, in other words.

      Delete
  3. Ken , did you happen to see the 700 square metre Aboriginal artwork that's reproduced on the roof terrace of the The Musée du quai Branly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't see that, franinoz. Sounds interesting.

      Delete
  4. I've really enjoyed these photos. Thanks for sharing them. One question (that has nothing to do with your pictures): if it's les halles (lay all) how does one pronounce des halles? With or without the S?

    Libbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the S. The initial H of the word halles blocks the liaison of the S of les or des. So it's [day-ahl], as in Le Forum des Halles.

      Delete
  5. Thanks. Another question if I may: did you use your new camera or your Panasonic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took photos with both cameras (they're both new, going back to May and June) and I have posted pictures taken up on the Tour Montparnasse with both. You can tell which are which if you click on a photo and display it at full size. At the top of the screen, you'll see the name. The ones that start with a P are from the Panasonic TZ60, and the ones that start with IMG are from the Canon XS700 HS.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?