24 January 2007

Wine by the hour

I'm watching a show on TV called "La Route des Vins" and it's about Paris back in the days before World War II.

One old guy was just telling about his father's business selling wine, other farm products, and farm supplies and equipment. He said his father sold "wine by the hour" -- il vendait le vin à l'heure. People would bring their sandwich or their picnic food and then pay a set fee for the right to drink as much as they wanted for, say, an hour, or two.

Then they would curl up under a table or in a corner and take a nice nap.

Those days are long past, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting concept. It sure wouldn't pay to sip, would it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always felt I was born too late...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had never heard of that!
    These days, they practise the Eat all you can method. I don't think the Drink all you can would be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how much work they got done after "lunch?"

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?