06 June 2008

Lunch with Claude at the Trumilou in Paris


On Monday I was in Paris with my friend Cheryl and we met up with Claude, who blogs at Blogging in Paris in English and Vieux C'est Mieux in French. We met at the Trumilou restaurant, an old-style Paris bistrot on the north bank of the Seine not far from Notre Dame cathedral. For years I had been wanting to have a meal there, and it was worth the wait.

View of the Seine and Notre Dame from the
street in front of the Trumilou restaurant


Then we all three did what we often do when we are eating a meal in a restaurant: we shamelessly took pictures of each other and the food we were served, as well as the décor of the restaurant. We laughed and talked over old times and friends and thoroughly enjoyed the food and drink. You'd think we were a bunch of tourists or something.

Here's Claude doing what she loves to do.

We are not tourists though. Claude lives in Paris. Cheryl lived in Paris and has been spending time there for many years. I myself went to Paris for the first time in 1970, when I was 20 years old. And then I lived in Paris for about five years in the 1970s and 1980s, and now live out in the country in France.

The Trumilou seen from the Ile St-Louis across the river

So why do we act like tourists? We don't. We act like crazy bloggers, I guess. Or a little like we didn't dare to act back in the 1970s when we thought we were happy-go-lucky and enjoyed wandering the streets of Paris. But back then we were too afraid to just be ourselves. At least I was, I think.

Svelte Claude saying hello to a big street lion
as we left the Trumilou


Thanks for reading this blog and continuing to give us a reason to find new experiences and new friends to blog about. More about the food tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Ken for this post and a pic of Claude as the subject ( instead of her being the photographer) in your photo. Congratulations Claude - you look Great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for writing your blog which I have enjoyed for some time now. We are off to France this morning (long day)....Phoenix, Arizona final destination Dinan, then Paris and possibly lunch at Trumilou.

    Bye,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the ideal lunch---good food and friends. Keep blogging, we all love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did have a great time, didn't we!
    Thanks the beaver!
    That canard aux pruneaux was memorable. I wouldn't mind going back there for more.
    AND the company was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing. This is my daily escape to France If I am not in a deposition or courtroom somewhere, I check in here every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, duck with prunes. I'll bet Ellen is jealous. Can't wait until tomorrow to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the turkey because I didn't order the duck! I thought I was practicing restraint when I ordered a salad for lunch. Ah, should have followed the lead of Claude and Ken!

    Back in the U.S.A. Wishing I were still in France....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, what a view of Notre Dame! Love your blog and your pictures. Dan said it perfectly - it's my daily escape to France.....

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?