10 October 2013

Not worse

I'm not worse. And no, I didn't try either of the radical remedies for chasing a cold away. I spent a normal afternoon and evening, went to bed early, and slept like a log.

What woke me up early this morning was a mysterious whirring, almost whining, mechanical noise. I lay in bed listening to it, wondering what it could be. If it's a train or an airplane, I thought, it wouldn't last so long. But it was louder than the noise of trains and planes usually is around here. Peut-être que c'était un OVNI — un objet volant non-identifié.

Yesterday's lunch: polenta with okra, tomatoes, and shrimp

The noise continued. I finally got up and opened a window to hear it better. That's when I realized it was a grape harvester. Somebody was out harvesting grapes at 5:00 a.m. That's a first, I think, in 10 years of living here. During the day, you don't even notice the noise of the mechanical harvesters, but in the early morning quiet it sounded much louder.

It's raining right now, and it's supposed to rain more today and tomorrow. I guess getting the grapes in has become urgent.

6 comments:

  1. It's a strange harvest this year. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's real comfort food. Easy to swallow when you have a sore throat and full of invigorating vitamins. Get well soon. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a good night's sleep - that is sometimes the hardest part of a cold for me.

    Loved your recipe about the deux chapeaux, yesterday! That's a new one for me - even though I have had one hangover that was a douzy in my life and I will NEVER go through that again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The saying "Make hay while the sun shines" applies even at night for late season grape harvests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do they even see what they're doing at that time of the morning?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?