08 April 2014

Arriving in a tornado

Or almost. My friends Evelyn and Lewis are scheduled to arrive in North Carolina this evening, flying into the airport closest to my home town. They're coming just to see this part of the world for the first time, and to visit with me.

I love to buy and cook shrimp when I'm in North Carolina.

About three hours ago, a tornado touched down near Belhaven, N.C., about two hours north of where I am. A band of heavy thunderstorms is moving south to north right now, between here and the airport. My sister and I will be leaving in a few minutes to drive up there and pick up E & L. Wish us luck.

Seen in a shopping center parking lot west of Morehead City

The next two days are going to be busy, assuming E & L get here tonight. Flights coming from Charlotte might be delayed or canceled. We'll see.

9 comments:

  1. Our friend Sarah would have loved the VW - I bet she would have got some eyelashes for her own Beetle. I wonder if they would fit a 2CV? Have a safe journey. P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends arrived safely. My sister and I had an uneventful drive to the airport, but on the return trip the four of us drove through a deluge. In places, we could hardly see past the hood of the car, because rain was falling so heavily. Water must have been 6 inches deep on the roadway in places. We drove along at 25 mph on a highway where the speed limit is more than twice that. There was a major accident on the other side of the road at a certain point, and we just heard on the morning news that one person was killed. The tornado in Belhaven NC destroyed two houses. There were worse tornadoes farther west, in the state of Mississippi. What a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, Ken! What a scary mess. Glad to know that E & L are visiting -- fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both flights were on time despite the dicey weather. Ken drives well on dark rainy nights. Ken grew up in the Promise Land and it is worth traveling to see. Right now I can see Carrot Island that has wild ponies, maybe I'll see one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, E and L. See you in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wild and crazy drive that must have been. Glad you are all safe and sound. That plate of goodies in the first photo could have been styled by a food photographer, Ken! Well done! Enjoy the time together.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evelyn, are you staying in Beaufort? We had a view of Carrot Island from our hotel window there.

    You are going to have fun and eat well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we are staying in Beaufort at the Inlet Inn. We are having the best time here and eating well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one cute car...talk about batting your eyelashes.....I hope you have lots of fun with your friends.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?