10 February 2018

A whirlwind

I didn't have time to choose and edit photos and then write a blog post yesterday. The level of activity around here rose to a crescendo. My sister and I had a 9:00 a.m. appointment at the county courthouse in Beaufort to sign some papers there having to do with one of my dearly departed mother's bank accounts and the title to her car.

We ran into a cousin I hadn't seen in years. She was at the courthouse doing much the same things we were doing because her sister, Judy, passed away just two or three weeks before our mother did. It was like a family reunion during this period of mourning. We all grew up together and then went our separate ways.

 It's raining here at the retirement complex this morning. Let's hope it doesn't rain all day.

Other administrative chores took us to two banks over the course of the morning. Documents delivered to us by the estates office required notarized signatures, and there were complications. They finally found resolution. We sat in another bank for more than an hour while my mother's accounts there were closed out. Everything seemed to be moving at a snail's pace.

In the afternoon, another cousin I hadn't seen in 50 years came to my mother's apartment to get reacquainted with my sister and me and to reminisce about MA. He stayed until after five o'clock. At that point, my sister, yet another cousin, and a good friend informed me that we were going to a restaurant for supper. I ended up not getting back to MA's apartment before 10:30 p.m.

Today we will be hosting an open house/visitation here at the retirement complex. We don't know how many people to expect — 50, 100, maybe 200. The woman who lives across the hall, somebody I've known all my life, arranged for the Baptist church's benevolence committee to bring in food for the crowd. More cousins and old friends I haven't seen in decades have said they'll be there. And then we'll go out to dinner with some of them again tonight. I feel like I've been caught up in whirlwind.

13 comments:

  1. Bon courage. Je penserai plus particulièrement à toi aujourd'hui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ken, you and your sister have been able to get so much done! Enjoy family and friends and good memories today. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard work, I'm sure, but how often more will you be able to experience such things. Enjoy the moments, or at least remember them to appreciate later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the memorial celebration brings lots of good memories, Ken.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always lots to do for the surviving family members. It sounds like your mom had her affairs in order though. I am sorry for your loss Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D. And thanks to all who have left thoughtful and kind comments. I haven't been able to keep up with the blog and comments this week, or respond the way I would like to.

      Delete
  6. Good luck Ken, it sounds as if you are doing all the right things. It's a way of getting to know then all again. Ceri

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as if the paperwork is moving right along for you, even though you may not feel it. Nice that the neighbors will get to gather and reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice that your Mom had so many friends and they have planned such a nice celebration of your mom's well lived life. I hope it gives you a sense of peace and good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping it all goes well and you bring back some good memories as well as sad.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?