24 February 2018

Couleurs hivernales

Winter colors. Muted, but striking. I took these photos on my walk three mornings ago. I think I was just realizing then that I had caught a cold.



Oaks, like these saplings, don't lose their leaves in winter. Instead the foliage turns bright orange and hangs on until spring, when new growth pushes off the old.


Walt posted a photo of this maison de vigneron — vine workers' shed — a couple of days ago. As he said, we've never seen the doors open a single time since we moved here in 2003. They're padlocked. There must not be anything usable or of any kind of value inside.


Willows grow around the vineyard. Usually, somebody trims off all the yellow "whips" so that new ones will grow on the stumps. The whips can be used to make baskets. Old Monsieur Denis used to trim them, but he never makes vineyard appearances any more. He's in his 80s now and can't walk much.

I walked the dog yesterday morning. The weather was dry, but not the ground. The temperature was below freezing, but just barely, and the ground was not frozen solid. I'm glad I don't have to go out there this morning. Last night, I went to bed at seven and I got at my usual time these days, five a.m. I slept for 10 hours, then. The cold is no better.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry about your cold. At least it is not the Australian 'flu, rife in the UK. I guess the tree with dead leaves is a Pin Oak. They don't look very nice at all in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oak leaves lend quite a bit of color to winter landscapes.

      Delete
  2. The colors in that first photo are great. Hope you feel better soon Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the baskets made from that willow are nice. Our colds are now in the cough phase...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is too. I'm tired of it now. Officially.

      Delete
  4. There was a fad in the UK for using willow whips to make arbours and the like. Apparently they strike and set roots quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grape canes are easy to grow that way too. Maybe I should cut and root a willow whip in the back yard.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?